Monday, June 25, 2012

Granny's grains, bourbon and new stuff


I do have a lead on the Murphy’s cake icing search. Keep reading.

In other news, here’s something I’ll call Granny’s Grains:

My mom often cooks for one, which is how she passed on a few bags of grains with just a few tablespoons of product left in each. After pondering how what to do with it all, I decided to combine and cook. My shrimp and broccoli had a side dish of orzo, pilaf and cous cous. It all worked out well in the end. Unless, of course, you let my mom know I referred to her as “granny.”

Bourbon Day

While Bourbon Day in June is not a national holiday, it is a good time to relax. It’s over, but you can still raise a glass. Here’s a Maker’s Mark recipe:

The Ward 3

Recipe by Ward III, New York

Muddled Fresh Strawberries

¾ part Fresh Lime Juice

½ part Simple Syrup

1 Egg White

2 Dashes Peychaud's Bitters

2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon

Nutmeg

1. Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice.

2. Shake vigorously and pour into a rocks glass.

3. Garnish with a shaving of nutmeg.

Vegetarian Plus

Some one told me about the new Whole Foods on Waugh Drive in Houston and I got there fast as I could. Vegetarian Plus meals were my goal and I got a package of citrus sparerib cutlets in plum vinegar sauce that had me tossing me head back and glad there was no one there to share it with. It’s so sweet and good and I served it over a bed of sliced cucumber and onion. It came in a bag in a box and heated in minutes. Great pick. Vegan Black Pepper Steaks comes in a close second in the line.

ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment