Saturday, July 22, 2017

The 'usual suspects' at Monica's

 
              The ‘usual suspects’ at Monica’s
                      Chef Monica Cobb is famous for pop-ups, Vietnamese sandwiches and the freshest of produce to create meals to be enjoyed and remembered.
                      Other than standard hours had prevented me from experiencing Monica’s Restaurant, 6385 Calder Ave. in Beaumont. But some time off and an invite from my mother rectified that. I was thrilled to get to the counter and choose Blackstrap Molasses Pork Loin and The Elvis. But it was tough to pick those over other selections such as Ghandi and Lemongrass Chicken.
                      Mom pointed out that these options can come as a banh mon sandwich or a salad, so we did the pork as a sandwich and The Elvis as a salad that came with almond-hoisin glaze, fried plantains and “the usual suspects.” We traded off so we could share all the flavors.
                      The suspects are on several dishes and are grouped as soy aioli, cucumber, seedless jalapeno, Asian slaw, pickled carrot-daikon, chili-mango vinaigrette and sriracha with red curry honey glaze. I’m all about it.
                      There’s art on the wall and diners who love to experiment and I can’t wait to try more. As we waited for a nut bread dessert, I heard others arriving and some noting “I’ve never been here before!”
                      I’ll bet their introduction to Monica’s was as fun as mine was. Thanks, Mom.

                      Gaea does EVOO
                      Gaea’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil with a dash of lemon seems a natural for fish and salad. But my first thought was to drizzle some onto popcorn. Now that was a fresh taste.  
                      Subtle flavors in high quality olive oil delight me more as I learn more. I never pass up the opportunity to dip my bread at sampling stations and I know how just a little makes such a great difference in your meal.
                      Gaea’s Estate Grown Sitia is from Crete and the label is a work of art, explaining a fruity and slightly peppery aroma. An egg breakfast comes out as tasteful art with a drizzle of this “100 percent natural & authentic” EVOO.
                      One more surprise, the top comes off and pouring spout pops out to direct your flow.

         darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment