Sunday, October 30, 2022

What's in your Astros cup?



I’m going all Astros for the second week in a row. It’s been fun to see people in their jerseys around our area and Houston supporting the team in the World Series. Through a relative, I actually got to attend the World Series opener and that was crazy fun. This week, Culinary Thrill Seekers, let’s talk about what you can put in your Astros cup:

Scapegrace Premium Black Gin – A friend recently introduced me to the subtle botanicals of gin. People tend to associate “clear” gin with a light feeling. And now for something completely different: Scapegrace Black Gin gets coloring from extracts including Aronia Berry, Saffron, Pineapple, Butterfly Pea and Sweet Potato. But hang on: It fades from black into reds and purples when you mix it with, say, tonic water and a slice of green apple for a signature serve. Is this crazy? Well, it’s a conversation starter, for sure. I can’t wait to share what I’ve already enjoyed. The sleek bottle design is a keeper.  think they can say it better than I can, so here it is, from the New Zealand makers:

Palate: Full bodied florality with a menthol like crispiness, naturally chilling with a balanced citrus freshness and a hint of spice.

Aroma: Resinous with Juniper and dry earthy notes, slight tropical sweetness swooping towards the end of the breath. 

Finish: Candied sweet potato and pineapple finish, mouth feel is luxurious and velvety and full of natural citrus oils. www.scapgracedistillery.com 

Fire Grounds Coffee Co. – It’s from first responders, and from Dallas, and I was right about the Bubba Brew. Texans ought to love it. Fragrance and body are also found in Rescue Roast and Bury Up Black. Count on this Firefighter and Veteran-Owned company to come through with what you need at all hours. Subscribe to the Caffeine-A-Station if you are as serious as they are. Challenge on for the good stuff. www.firegroundscoffeecompany.com

Fruit Forward – Watermelon is the fruit focus of a kosher blend that dropped this June. Down south we’re always down for this flavor and MYX Fusions Watermelon Moscato is my favorite-so-far experience with Moscato. It’s light, fresh and effervescent by my description. It’s crisp with a clean finish, according to the experts. It puts me in mind of bridal parties. www.myxfusions.com

Italian Style – Oat Barista is a thing, but I’m currently trying organic almond, coconut an almond coconut plant-based milks with extreme success. Koita blends are a product of Italy and I’m enjoying cool flavors by the carton. I don’t usually indulge in these dairy-free products but when they come my way, I’m all about it. Italian almonds are giving the body and flavor. www.koita.com

Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie ready for cups overflowing with abundance. Tis the season to be grateful. darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment