Thursday, April 25, 2024

White sands await in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, Alabama

 



Gulf Shores and Orange Beach – These are two areas often considered as one. Think Dallas-Fort Worth, but on sugar-white sands with condos. I woke up at a lodge on a state park to view the sunset and walked so far I believe I was in Orange Beach. Later in the car, I wondered aloud to my sister how far we were from Florida and by the time she tracked it, we were there. Just down the road.

 



Shell Yes – Just one good shell can recall an entire vacation. I found joy in even partial mollusk shells in earthy tones that I scattered in pots around my garden. I found spare change in broken sand dollars that must have been tortilla sized when intact. Remember, shells were once homes so get them from the beach only. “Leave Only Footprints” is a constant reminder from cleanisland.org.

 


The Flora-Bama Experience – This lounge/package store/oyster bar was on my bucket list for less than 24 hours. I’d just heard of this sprawling joint on the Florida/Alabama coast and was shuttled there by the end of the day. Someone had to shut my mouth as I explored the different levels adorned by years of autographed and tossed braziers. There was a band, a solo singer and lots of bushwackers. That’s the creamy local drink with Kahlua and other sneaky surprises. We all got a scan, search and pat down before entering. Guess my krewe looked like trouble. It was like stepping onto the set of “Urban Cowboy” and the music flowed. I’m hearing there is church on Sunday and if you’re still in the parking lot from the night before, they’ll knock on the window, wake you up and invite you to attend.



 

Alabama Beach Mice – These are a thing. An endangered thing. They sound tough, like gang with dungarees and greased-back hair. But they live in the dunes and the Lodge is working to support them. They’re nocturnal so I never saw them. They must wait for the Flora-Bama crowd to roll in.




Your Turn – Sure Gulf Shores and Orange Beach have been famous for a while. I’m new to this love. If you’re headed to Alabama’s white sand beaches, make sure you go to www.gulfshores.com to get prepped. #stealalabamabeaches

 

Darragh Doiron Castillo is a Port Arthur area foodie ready for the shore. Reach her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment