Monday, July 1, 2024

Doirons unite in Starks

 

A little postcard invited me to a Doiron family reunion at Alligator Park in Starks. What a perfect setting on the water. My sister and I arrived just in time for the prayer and serving. These relatives on my dad’s side had prepared Louisiana-styled chicken, ribs; three kinds of chicken and dumplings; pasta with crawfish; chicken spaghetti; rice dressing; potato salad and more. There was boudain, though we figure they spell it boudin on that side of the river. All good, cousins!

Tony Chachere’s on the buffet table was a natural. I was surprised I didn’t see my No. 1 go-to, Tabasco, nearby. There was Frank’s Red-Hot instead, but nothing I tried needed extra anything. There were great cooks at this gathering.

Then, there was the dessert table. Classics included Butterfinger Cake and all sorts of bundt temptations. Visits with relatives went with door prize call outs, which seemed to last for an hour. I’m sure EVERYbody went home with something.

There hasn’t been a Doiron reunion in 11 years, and I had to miss that one. My parents, Burton and Jeannette, would have loved this gathering that was big enough that we may be placed out of Alligator Park the next time.

 

The Journey

Louisiana trips are an adventure, no matter where you end up.

My sister is old-school at mapping, plus my phone was broken and hers was nearly out of power as we approached Louisiana at the Deweyville Swing Bridge. After a lifetime of scanning the view from the Interstate 10 bridge by the Texas Travel Information Center this quiet, flat entry to The Pelican State was a sweet surprise. Also called the Deweyville-Starks Swing Bridge or Sabine River Bridge, it is a Depression-era project designed to rotate for boat passage. It’s the oldest surviving swing bridge of its design in Texas and one of three in the state.

Hackberry

After the hugs goodbye, we meandered over to Lake Charles. The next stop was Hackberry, where my sister looked for places she’d visit with the folks before I was born. “It’s all so different now” was the quote of the hour. Marsh views make a beautiful drive. But we didn’t spot a gator all day. Sure we have those in Port Arthur, but we wanted to see our Louisiana cousins.

Holly Beach

I used to hear Cajun Ambassador A.J. Judice joke that Holly Beach, Louisia is the Cajun Riviera. Now there’s a wayfinding sign proclaiming this so. We spread out a blanket and joined other families enjoying the surf. We’ve always associated this beach with pigs, but we didn’t spot any of those either.

Back home to Texas

As any summer trip my sister makes from Alabama to Texas, we made a pass through the scenic views of Pleasure Island, enjoying Port Arthur, The Cajun Capital of Texas. We didn’t think we’d be hungry, but I couldn’t resist a bite from all the vittles our Louisiana relatives made sure we took. We’re planning what to bring next year.

Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie and proud Cajun. Reach her at darraghcastillo@Icloud.com


No comments:

Post a Comment