Saturday, September 14, 2024

National Hispanic Heritage Month is Fiesta season

 


Fiesta 56 a Victory - I wonder just how many tortillas were wrapped into burritos, folded into tacos and fried up for nachos this weekend in Port Arthur. The Mexican Heritage Society’s 56th annual Fiesta packed families into the Robert A. “Bob” Bowers Civic Center Saturday. While pageant royalty and dancers twirled and pivoted inside, family activities spilled into the parking lot. Music, culture and vendors created a colorful atmosphere. The food created its own flair. Emcee Angel San Juan shared one of the plumpest tamales I’ve ever seen with me. I enjoyed that after a couple of tacos and before some seafood ceviche. Cheers and arriba to the next edition. National Hispanic Heritage Month continues through October 15.

When a Pear has a Tuna - Texas prickly pears have pads and tunas. The tuna is the red fruit and I've tried my first, purchased from the store. I did look at it for days before giving it a Google. Just as I suspected, you slice it open and scoop it out. I wasn't prepared for the multitude of seeds. Apparently some people eat them and other's don't. The pulp was sweet, red and juicy. Will I try again? Maybe in a few years. I liked it, but let's say all those seeds made me appreciate the work of those who transform tunas into jelly and other goodies. 

Of Birds and Mangos – Chimango is the product that will make me come around to all this red/sweet/hot chili powder rims on candies, drinks, etc. I’m sampling pouches of chili mango and pineapple wedges that are tangy and addictive. “No artificial colors, unsulphured & sweetened, the labels read. Snacks, garnishes and fun here. The deal is, Chimango Caracara is also a bird of which I’d not heard. The “problem-solving adventurer” fishes from the skies and soars above South America’s Tierra del Fuego. What’s not to love? www.chimangosnacks.com invites you to BE BOLD.

Your Mission? – Two guys who met at a charity event are now producing Mission Craft Cocktails, ready made blends of Margarita, Mai tai, Cosmopolitan, Manhattan and Old Fashion. They’re premium delicious, beautifully packaged and even better, the “mission” is to benefit causes including hunger, animal care and veterans. Let’s talk Margarita with 100 percent agave blanco tequila from Mexico, lime and orange liqueur, with local California ingredients. Again, it’s all in there, ready to pour and raise your glass to philanthropy. www.missioncocktails.com

Darragh Castillo is a Port Arthur area foodie always up for some Tex-Mex. Share your comfort foods with her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment