Sunday, October 13, 2024

Pumpkin spice gets competition


 Pumpkin spice gets competition

A carved out pumpkin bowl holding a cream cheese and pumpkin spice dip was the hit of a recent party. The maker suggested this sweet dip with graham crackers. The flavor was exceptional and the presentation was an upgrade.

If you like calming pumpkin spice on everything this time of year, consider another spice blend sure to snap you awake. Tajin is the spicy chili lime and sea salt blend rimming glasses and leveling up street corn. Love for the fiery Mexican flavor has spread across the country. Oregon’s famous Tillamook Country Smoker Beef Jerky has a Tajin version that will surprise those who get lunch boxes packed for them. It’s a “yes” for me. 

OREO Addicts - I don't often go down the cookie aisle, but when I do there are OREOs. They used to be my husband's favorite and now we simply try to have smaller bites of "everything in moderation." I came across some OREO Thins Tiramisu Creme Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with that creamy, coffee flavor. I shared a few with a friend so I would not eat all the handful I had brought with me. Nice try. She loved them so much she went to the store and shared some with me so that she would not eat them all. Another irony is that I was originally looking for the Coke Oreos, which I later found and the sharing happened all over again.

"Turtle On a Post" - The late Senator Carl Parker shares memories of growing  up in the "golden" age of Port Arthur. He notes a booming economy of the '40s and '50s. 

"Downtown was thriving, and big bands made regular visits to our world-famous ballroom at Pleasure Pier," Parker recalls," in "Turtle on a Post." 

This ”back when” section mentions movie theaters, Nacol's Jewelry, the Sabine and Goodhue hotels, The Port Arthur Club, clothes lines, Texaco Reservoir as a swimming hole and the Brown Ice Cream Wagon, pulled by a horse.

The book of myriad topics is a collection of memoirs as told to Jim Sanderson, writer-in-residence at Lamar University. Museum of the Gulf Coast hosted a book signing. You can pick up your own copy in the gift shop.

Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie savoring fall flavors and scents… until it is time to enjoy the same at Christmas. Share with her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment