Thursday, August 15, 2024

Viva Tex-Mex… and Southwestern flavors

 


 Sometimes we’re surprised that our Mexican food isn’t like everyone else’s. Tex-Mex is our own thing and we love it. But, hola, Mexico is a big country. Some places are known for wheat and bread instead of corn and tortillas. Other regions bundle tamales into banana leaves instead of wrapping them up in corn husks.

We may be panicked that a combination plate in another state may not include the refried beans and yellow queso we have come to expect. I remain confident I’ll like whatever Mexican meal I’m served, anywhere. I recently experienced some Southwestern fare that has inspired me to gather all my pepper/cactus/turquoise-themed dinnerware, jewelry, etc. and carry out the season with spices, beans and tortillas of Mexico.

 I’m talking about tamales, enchiladas, migas, avocados, chilaquiles and tacos. If I create something that is not exactly authentic, I’m still going to savor every bite and dream about the “real” thing enjoyed on a beach or mountaintop with a view. 

Here’s some of what I rounded up. Try these out for spice:

·        Rice, with some savory spices in the cooking broth to add flavor and color.

·        Black beans are convenient, healthy and great hot or cold in salads. 

·        Yellow corn: Air fried, creamed, canned or frozen. Use as a side dish or mix in.

·        Green jalapeno rings, fresh or pickled

·        Red onion, minced fresh as a garnish

·        Green peas. I usually don’t go for these at all, but they make a colorful add in when you get just a few per serving.

·        Orange carrots, any way you like.

·        Pumpkin: I froze some last season and it’s of the consistency that cooks right into a chili or stew.

 

Eat a Cookie, Today – That’s actually an Isabella’s Cookie Company motto. Kind of a challenge, huh? This Redondo Beach company claims “unparalleled gourmet perfection” and an aspiration to make every cookie dream come true. I’ll bet their board meetings are fun. The Apple Fritter Cookie, The Dark Mocha Monster Cookie and The Sugar Rush are choices in their “unrivaled in variety” options. Take note they are proud of using high-quality, pure and fresh ingredients. Vegans can accept their cookie’s too, from www.isabellascookies.com

Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie who loves a good Taco Tuesday and sees no reason not to extend the Tex-Mex night into the rest of the week. Share your ideas with her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment