Sunday, August 25, 2024

Wait for it… great bites have their seasons



Like a kid in a ketchup commercial, I’m in “anticipation” mode. The season is about to change toward cooler temperatures, that faint scent of burning leaves and the traveling sound of marching bands practicing for games.

Living in the moment is good. But this issue is about anticipating. We’ll go with slow heat for the perfect omelette; some dishes to set the tone for the Groves Pecan Festival and a way to start in on candy corn season. If you don’t get the ketchup reference, please look up the 1970s era Heinz commercial. Now, don’t let me keep you waiting:

 

Eggs with Feta – This is a lesson, if not a recipe. A little feta can upgrade your eggy breakfast, but this is about timing. A great way to go is a tiny skillet sprayed with oil. Slow heat is what gets me. My plan to put the pan on high for a minute to ease the time gives me poor presentation and a sticky skillet to clean every time. I’m jealous my husband is so much more patient on this technique. Go low heat and longer time for your perfect slide. You probably knew this. But do you do it?

Pecan Primed – Craving Pecans? We all do around here this season. The Groves Pecan Festival is set for Oct. 10-13, 2024, and it’s time to get cooking. When “Baking for Fun: 75 Great Cookies, Cakes, Pies and More” arrived from the Food Network Magazine line of cookbooks, I started at the index. Beer-Spiked Brownies with Pecan Frosting caught my eye, as did Dark Chocolate Pecan Bars. Air fryer fans will love a pecan brownie temptation and a Chocolate-Toffee Pecan Tart can finish off your season. Every page has a great recipe, tip or photograph, so get cracking on these and other lusciousness that doesn’t even involve nuts. But you’d be nuts not to try ‘em. EXTRA: Here’s about the most Lone Star thing in this book, a recipe for Spicy Texas Sheetcake with dried guajillo chile peppers. The frosting has pecans and cayenne.

Candy Corn/Pop Corn – Take those “circus peanuts” and marshmallow chicks. Not for me. I’m a sucker for candy corn, the seasonal sugar rush of Halloween. Sweet Chaos now has a Candy Corn variety in it’s “Deliciously Disruptive” line of non-GMO popcorn popped in coconut oil. Gold star with me for sharing my sample because I could have eaten it all… I’m also sharing everyone loved it as much as I did. Bring it on. www.sweetchaos.com

Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie ANTICIPATING great things for the rest of 2024 and beyond. Share your excitement with her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment