Monday, May 9, 2011

Confessions of the Secret Sauce
My secret sauce is no secret in my family. We don’t even buy fast food, but somehow packets of ketchup, taco sauce, etc. fill a big jar in the kitchen. Every once in a while I get similar packets, scissors and make up a sauce, then plan a meal around it.
Potatoes cut in wedges and heated in a little olive oil and rosemary get the ketchup and hot sauce.
A barbecue sauce basic get the sweet and sour of ketchup and mustard as well as jelly packets. I’m not making this up. I heard it somewhere and put it into practice.
My friend recently gave me great handfuls of packets from her husband’s Chinese food ventures. I put squeezed all the hot mustard into a jar for sandwiches and worked the soy and duck sauce into another jar . Contents have been been accenting jasmine rice dishes. I’m planning a breakfast of napa cabbage sautéed with this sweet sauce and topped by an egg over easy.


Go Turbo and tank up to get lean
TurboChargers don’t sip water or do exercise as they lose body fat at a rapid pace eating plenty of protein and fruit.
They actually tank up on lots of water and move a periods throughout the day as they eat fish, eggs, vegetables etc. in combinations and steer away from grains of any kind.
Siblings Dian Griesel and Tom Griesel want you to unlearn several diet concepts and get “TurboCharged,” from their book with the subtitle: “Accellerate Your Fat Burning Metabolism, Get Lean Fast and Leave Diet and Exercise Rules in the Dust.
They would be proud that I’m hydrating even as I write this, but not that I recently ate pasta. Several anecdotes from successful TurboChargers note how they have made the program their own, but those on the “Super Highway” will want to be more strict, going for protein only or vegetable only meals they switch around. Once at goal, “Cruise Control” leaves room for playing around. Most of this book will make sense and sound familiar to dieters, but some concepts, such as the no-grain thing, will be new and challenging. I love the plugs for water and daily affirmations. I can also get into the frequent teeth brushing so as to deter eating when one isn’t hungry, but the part about spitting only, no rinsing, is another new challenge.


Flavorfullest
Salty and sweet is the ZonePerfect idea of living life to the “flavorfullest,” and my family’s idea of three grown people fighting for equal bites of one Cashew Pretzel bar.
Snack bar trickery was employed, and we should be ashamed. But, then we found the ZonePerfect Trail Mix bar. We gave a thumbs up for both, but next time we have to make sure there are enough Cashew Pretzels to go around. These are new to the family of what I recently dubbed “naughty” dessert for breakfast kind of bars. They’ll pick you up any time of day.
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment