Sunday, October 30, 2011

Holidays a good time to savor ginger ale
One of my parents’ friends would tote ginger ale to parties because she did not partake of adult beverages. I was just a kiddo when she let me taste hers and I became a fan. My daughter and I enjoy some around the holidays.
Q Ginger is billing individual servings of organic agave ale with real ginger, coriander, cardamom, rose oil, cayenne and orange peel as “Finally, a ginger ale for adults.” One sip made me a huge fan. Q Tonic was bitter to my husband’s taste. That’s because it’s supposed to be, I assured him. It also features agave and “real quinine from real trees, not a lab,” as the info card indicates. I realize you’re supposed to mix this with gin or vodka, but I rather enjoyed a sip alone, as it put me in a European bistro mood.

A little bit sweet
Little candy dots pouring out of brightly colored plastic tubes look like most other children’s candies, but SparX, makers of the fruity bites, think these sweeties could make a better candy choice for your oral health with natural xylitol. Corn cobs, birch trees and other sources make up the sweeter. I couldn’t make this up. The company reports: “Xylitol contains 40 percent fewer calories than sugar, has a net carb level of only 0.4 per gram, and has minimal impact on blood-sugar levels, making it an appropriate sugar substitute for diabetics. Xylitol is absorbed slowly by the body, resulting in a low glycemic index of seven compared to sugars index of 83 (or higher).”
Xlear, Inc. (pronounced “clear,” the leading manufacturer of xylitol based products in the United States, cranks ‘em out. Tastes like candy. Xlear also makes a nasal spray, a dental defense system, tooth gel and floss.

www.xlear.com)

Mole to go
A panini grill is a preferred way to heat Red’s All Natural burritos, with an oven as a second-best option. If you’re hungry enough and you can head to the microwave, but I wouldn’t suggest it. While the brand boasts composition from highest quality veggies, beans and spices with antibiotic and hormone-free meats, cradled in light wheat flour tortilla, make sure you read the label if counting calories. One burrito is two servings, so grab a burrito buddy and share. If you are already predisposed to the flavor, texture and filling quality of this dish, Red’s will fit the bill with turkey mole, steak, chicken and bean and rice varieties. In other words, this burrito tastes exactly like you think it will.

ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment