Sunday, January 4, 2015

Neches River Wheelhouse offers views, seafood



Neches River Wheelhouse offers seafood and views
Just about everybody in Southeast Texas has tried out Neches River Wheelhouse in Port Neches and I finally got to enjoy a lunch there. I’d already enjoyed some catered food from the Wheelhouse. Now I can tell others they ought to venture out the our newest seafood-with-a-view venue by Port Neches Park. Don’t wait until RiverFest. Go now. Even on a gray winter day there are great views of the river traffic. It’s set up for hanging out with friends. Fire pits and fried seafood just goes together.

Angel food
I don’t even know how the angel food cake mix showed up in my pantry. But someone gave me the lemon pudding mix. So I combined the two to make a birthday treat for a friend. I didn’t care for angel food cake as a child, going instead for something more rich. Now I appreciate the subtlety of the sweetness, but it’s easy to kid yourself that it is more healthy and you can have an extra piece or two. So I topped it with the lemon pudding/pie filling I cooked up and enhanced with vanilla and whiskey.
It went well, but here’s another observation. At our ages, I tend to top birthday cakes with one symbolic candle. It’s kind of difficult to decide where to put one candle in a bundt cake. There’s no middle.
Oh well, it worked. There were no leftovers.

Do you blame the sulfites?
I certainly have. Used as antimicrobial and preservatives for bottling and storing wine, sulfites cause a sensitivity in some people. I think I’m one of them. Jean Ishihara used to feel very sick after wine and came up with a Just the Wine, which comes in eye-drop sized bottles so you can squirt a few drops into your glass or bottle. That’s all there is to it, but the story is interesting. Go to justthewine.com for the background. I tried it over the holidays and offer a good report.
Darragh Doiron loves to dine and cook and write for Port Arthur News readers.






No comments:

Post a Comment