Monday, August 3, 2015

What's your favorite poorboy?


       I could eat my way around New Orleans on an oyster poorboy tour.
       Shrimp poorboys, and traditional ones, are welcome to be part of the tour.
       Hey, I can get one of my favorite poorboys right here in Port Arthur at Amuny’s on Gulfway Drive.    
       But, I’d also be happy to head for New Orleans and get a little French Quarter stroll in, too.
       There’s plenty of debate on how the poorboy started, how to spell it and what to put on it. I like just about every version, and I’d be happy to share stories of  your favorites. Tell me where you had them and why you like them.
       Someone gave me some fresh shrimp and someone else gave me some French bread. I figured various combos for an entire day before I started thinking of a simple poorboy. I imagined the bread broiled in butter and dressed with a simple bit of lettuce and thin red onions. Why that? It’s what I had on hand. And that is how most meals are created at my house.
       Guess what. This sandwich was a hit, even without a jazz band parading down the street with me.
       Poorboys make me feel rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment