Sunday, August 27, 2017

Harvey herbal nachos


                      Still riding high from our total eclipse viewing in Tennessee, we came home to Harvey, the top Texas news.
                      My mom, recalling long power outages after Rita, was hoping we’d take her out of the flash flood path and all the way to Sherman, but alas, plans come and go so quickly in a time of potential crisis. We had seven plans and ended up pretty safe at home on Sunday.
                      Thank goodness she didn’t look out the window when our street was flooded. 
                      She mentioned cleaning our her freezer before we left, as we recall how trashed, stinky ice boxes lined the streets before. I hadn’t realize that she was thinking we’d take an ice chest full of food to our host’s home so we could cook it there. That was too much, I thought, for the willing host family to deal with. As it became clear we were staying, we started defrosting and eating up the best stuff first.
                      Where had she been hiding all that chicken, roast and Italian sausage? I got crazy with her seasonings and sauces. The best, part, it was all pretty low carb.
                      I saw on a Weight Watchers Facebook page people discussing doing some heavy Harvey snack binging, but I stayed on track with meats and veggies. Low carb and all.
                      I saw other Facebook pages people kind of freaking about where to get food at restaurants, but thanks to my mad creative cooking skills, I stayed more than nourished.
                      My colorful pitchers of drawn tap water for emergencies could have made a Pinterest post.        
                      Readers, I hope you all can get Harvey behind you soon. The rain is picking up again a I write this.
                      Here’s one of the use-it-up bites I came up with:

                      Herbal Nachos
                      Cut corn tortillas into strips and sautee in butter. (Normally I’d use olive oil, but I was trying to use up butter if the power went out.)
                      Work in any dry herbs you have and melt cheese on top. Top with chopped onions if you are lucky enough to have them.
                      Mom’s bacon crumbles, a sprinkling, a dusting of crushed red pepper and a bed of sugar snap peas made this a feast.
                      Enjoy as finger food or eat with a fork if you added lots of cheese.
                      Readers, feel free to share you culinary Harvey experiences with me at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment