Monday, September 25, 2017

Don't Mess with Class of '67, or their Amuny's


                             Port Arthur’s Amuny’s  famous sandwiches were recognizable amid crystal and fanfare on the buffet at Brentwood Country Club. The occasion: Monsignior Kelly High School class reunion.
                             Frank Messina, an Amuny’s owner and reunion organizer brought the PA delights that were a hot topic as guests caught up with one another. The gang also attended the Kelly Homecoming the night before with fajitas. I was the date of my sister Debbie Doiron Madisetty, who traveled from Alabama for festivities.
                             The Class of ’67 got down to “Ride, Sally Ride” and other hits of the era while flipping through the yearbook and photos. The Brentwood menu also included pork stuffed with boudain and my first sweet potatoes of the season.
                             Meanwhile, downstairs was another Port Arthur tie. The Beaumont country club houses Boudain Hut North at Brentwood, which features some of the goodies that the Port Arthur Boudain Hut made so popular.
                             At the homecoming, I chatted with a classmate who now lives in Boston. I made it a point to present her with a “Don’t Mess With Texas” sticker to take home. Her reaction took me by surprise. She said she had that stuff all over her house. Her sister was instrumental in turning this anti-litter campaign into a household term.
                             I’ve always loved the “Don’t Mess with Texas” phenomenon. Little did I know one of the people who brought it to life used to play in my house with my sister.
                             I’m just going to point out that I attended high school in a different school and in a different era. I’m part of the French High School Class of 1983, and I’m ready to jam with those guys any time.
                             darraghcatillo@icloud.com



No comments:

Post a Comment