Sunday, December 24, 2017

Ready for 2018?



            Hopefully you had some joy in your 2017 and are either rebuilding or helping others proceed. Our area is pulling together and ready for a new year of  promise and progress. Let’s get ready to welcome 2018.
            I’m on record as craving caviar for New Year’s Eve and have my little jar ready. A simple spread of a can of smoked oysters mashed into cream cheese hits the spot every time. My friend brought back an old favorite, baking brown sugar and bleu cheese on to kettle chips for a sweet and savory batch of delicious that is also a conversation piece.
            Zatarain’s can help you get your cornbread to the table for New Year’s Day. New baking mixes include Honey Butter Cornbread and Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Mix. I made a quick batch of Buttermilk Biscuit Mix the day before Christmas Eve, which is called Christmas Zha Zha in my family. It was so good I got the request for more, but I ripped open the package to realize the honey butter was actually corn bread. Still quick and good. Cheddar Garlic Biscuit Mix is waiting for the right moment. We Southerners need our cornbread and cabbage. If you didn’t think you can make cornbread yourself, Zatarain’s will show you otherwise.
            Farm Rich snacks from the frozen food section mean you’re always ready to go. I got a text asking if I was home and within the hour I’d baked up little rounds of breading filled with cheese, (Mozzarella Bites), Mozzarella Sticks and Buffalo Chicken. The loaded potato skins put me in the mind of my days as a Bennigan’s server. Back then, we called it being a waitress, and I loved it. The company has announced some special edition snacks to look for but I don’t want to whet your appetite until I find them locally.

                             Losing someone
                             Writing down cherished family recipes, and the stories that go with them, is a crucial part of history. Preparing for a loved one’s death calls for stamina, so it’s better to get as many things in order as possible. Check lists for what you’ll need are featured in “Rest in Peace: A Planning Guide for the Inevitable.” Charles Walts and Tommye White are authors making a team with background, experience and Texas ties. Just having this book on hand is a major step. Then read it, then begin getting things in order. Sometimes you have to talk about what you don’t want to talk about. The gathering recipes is my idea; the document gathering plans in the book may seem daunting at first, but prepping will help everyone rest in peace.

                  darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment