Sunday, January 14, 2018

Another cocktail (sauce) please


                            Sometimes dinner inspiration evolves from what I’m trying to “move” from the fridge. When I spied the jar of horseradish in the fridge, I thought it was time for seafood, so I started with cocktail sauce and went from there.
                            It was also a good way to use up some ketchup packets. I added lime juice and enjoyed with a packaged tray of boiled shrimp. I don’t know why I didn’t notice the tray came with a portion of sauce already.
                             So I saved the sauce and had to get more seafood for another meal. I came home with a bag of mixed seafood to boil and mentioned to my mother I would serve it with cocktail sauce. She offered me a bottle of ketchup she was eager to move from her pantry. I took it, even though I would have rather used up more packets. Then on the way out the door, she offered me her jar of horseradish. I was still trying to use up my jar.
                             So now we’re looking for more seafood and have enough stock for at least three more batches of sauce.
                             Here are some things I add when mixing and matching:
                             Ketchup
                             Horseradish, liberally     
                             Lime or lemon juice                                                                                                          Worchestershire sauce   
                             Vinegar slash. I promise, a crawfish vendor taught me this trick.
                             Any readers have more ideas? Send them this way and we can share.





                  Easy cooking, compared with 1800s
                             When history books come my way, I go looking for a food reference. I just got reminded how laborious it was to preserve your butchered hog, cook bent over to fuel your fire and keep ash out of your food that offered little variety. Then along came cast iron stoves, recipe books with actual measurements, appliances and methods that opened up the cook’s world, but still involved countless hours that we avoid today with coffee makers and microwaves.
                              “Cooking with Gas: The Quiet Revolution,” is Charles Williams’ contribution to “Legends and Life in Texas: Folklore from the Lone Star State in Stories and Song.” History lovers, get your copy from University of North Texas Press.


No comments:

Post a Comment