Sunday, February 4, 2018

Get ready to Mardi Gras


                             Let’s cover everything in green, purple and gold sugar. King cakes are popping up and the babies signal it’s time for the next party. Mardi Gras of Southeast Texas will spread the spirit in downtown Port Arthur from Feb. 8-11 and I’m ready to throw as many beads as I want to catch.
                             On the grounds and around town, I’m ready for flavors of crawfish, gumbo and boudain. See you out there!

                             On that note
                                         While Mardi Gras may be a season of  indulgences, the leaner times of Lent are soon to come. This is a time I remind myself that a little can go a long way. To some, it’s all or nothing, but I’ve learned that measuring spoons can actually help you be mindful of portions, such as pure maple syrup on your French toast. You don’t need to have it all, but enjoying what you do have is what it’s all about.


                            
                             The Collection
                             One of the most fun gift shops in Groves, The Collection, also features a shop at 4036 Dowlen Road, in Beaumont. I noticed the sign as I headed to Sweet Basil for some tofu and noodles. They’re nearly neighbors in the strip mall, with Madison’s on Dowlen. The Pandora posters, and my asking, confirmed the Groves connection to this The Collection.
                             So Culinary Thrill Seekers who enjoy shopping for fun trinkets for themselves, or seek a hostess gift for when they’re invited to a girls’ lunch, can pick up some trendy finds.

                  darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment