Monday, December 24, 2018

Texas holiday spirit


                             Road trips are great things because you can have an adventure visiting family or perhaps hop in your car and drive a stretch for a break from the family.
                             The Courthouse Whistlestop Café in Livingston was my lunch break on an excursion to East Texas. I shared a burger with my husband, as we were on our way to another party. The onion rings were presented on a bed of lettuce. Fancy. Then Delores came in for a hug. She hugged my husband and then me and wished us the most heartfelt happy holiday. I thought that perhaps this friendly woman, who appeared to be a server from another table, had mistaken us for someone else. She then announced that the hugging is just what she does. Now that’s got to make you smile.
                             A sunny corner table offered a great view of the courthouse.

                             A symphony of good spirits in PA
                             Jeff Newman of Motiva was guest conductor and Dr. Mark Porterie was guest sleigh bell percussionist at The Sounds of Christmas concert that Symphony of Southeast Texas performed in Port Arthur. Motiva and the school district presented this event, featuring the Memorial High School Choir. This free event brought guests in a festive mood to the Woodrow Wilson Early College High School. As long as I've appreciated the city's history, I was among several who remarked it was their first time to enter the building, which has been beautifully restored. There's a story that Janis Joplin would cut class and hang out in the cupola, where her initials are supposedly marked. I didn't get that far in my explorations, but I did find a pre-reception featuring Moncla's white chocolate bread pudding, which was another hot topic of the evening.

                             Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie who can’t wait to see what 2019 will bring. Reach her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment