Saturday, February 2, 2019

Remember Tang?

 
Super Bowl is a veg-out; details later.
                  Something happened to make me think of ‘70s era breakfast, and I’ll get to that soon, too. Keep posted here for updates.


                            Here’s a memory of favorite breakfast foods when I was a child, in the ‘60s and ‘70s. While I’m sure my mom served healthy breakfasts to me before school, I mostly recall the rather special occasions I got the flashy, colorful and sugary foods that were marketed to kids. Pop-Tarts were a treat. Cereal was rare but I loved Captain Crunch, in peanut butter version. I even had his coloring book and staying in lines of his uniform. Malto-O-Meal had a soothing texture.
                             Tang was everywhere, even in space. I wasn’t actually in the kitchen a lot, but I remember mixing up Tang when it wasn’t my job to mix up instant tea for the evening meal. I still have the tea pot we’d pour from, like it was “real” tea, I suppose.
                             Sunday breakfasts were the real thing with grandma’s perfect biscuits and boudain. If there was cream gravy, I got to make it. I still have the little pitcher we’d pour from.
                             Darragh Doiron is a Port Athur area foodie who may not get sports, but appreciates the bonding around them. Reach her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment