Saturday, August 3, 2019

The great recipe cull


                      
I still can’t believe my mom, a fabulous and creative cook, let me go through her bulging recipe files, with intent to reduce.
                      We both realized some of those carefully-clipped newspaper recipes from the ‘80s simply were not going to get made. Lots of recipes had the word “surprise” in the title. While it was fun to view them, there wasn’t a sense of loss to “let them go” because we all eat differently now. Foods are not so rich and have different, less processed ingredients.
                      Still, I did divvy them up among cooks I figured would be interested in reviewing them, too.
                      I recognized many contributions from the Port Arthur area, including Angus McIntosh, who cooked for St. Mary Hospital and had a column in The News. Of course, I saved clips that appeared in my column. I hope you would have, too.
   

                      It’s not even green, but it’s good. I refer to Avocado Mayonnaise by BetterBody Foods.
                      Avocados are very hip and avocado toast is super trendy. Why not add a touch of this 100 percent pure avocado oil mayo to your breakfast. Also, did I just use the word “avocado” much? I don’t think you can overdo this non-GMO, gluten-free, soy and canola-free, 100 calorie a tablespoon creamy spread made with cage-free eggs. Conveying all that was more work than making my simple, creamy and yummy toast, Avocado Mayo and fried egg sandwich. Man, I wish dealing with avocados was always as easy as just opening a jar. 

  Fu
                             Fun Size: I'm often late to candy trends. Did you know m&m’s has Fun Size bags of Mexican Jalapeno, English Toffee and Coconut? I loved trying them but I’m still gonna list peanut as my personal favorite. I do like that you can eat some now and then later, because of the coating that won’t melt. I can even stretch the Fun Size into multiple servings.

                  Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie who will continue to make new recipes and save the old. Reach her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment