Saturday, May 2, 2020

Pepper adds a "thread" of interest


                             A jar of Korean pepper thread is a condiment I’ve rediscovered as I rotate my “making do” pantry. What texture and interest these long, slender threads add to a finished dish. They unfurl and drape over your fish or rice or even toast. I found them at a market years ago and figured they’d be hot squared. In my opinion, they are not hot at all, but they do instill a respect when you serve such an arrangement to an unsuspecting diner. I won’t be buying these threads again, but I’m glad to have had their acquaintance.

                      Plant Junkie
                      If you’d hang with a gang that thinks the term Plant Junkie is a compliment, then get to know this new line of 100 percent plant-based, vegan-friendly and flavorful dressings for salads and sandwiches. They’re from BetterBody Foods, who also brought us PBfit. When I found the Thai Peanut Vinaigrette, I headed to the pantry for noodles, rice, rice paper and anything Asian based this could highlight. Lovely yellow Tumeric &  Pepper Ranch dressing became my eggplant dipping sauce and Chili Pomegranate went on my dwindling supply of fresh veggies to make them new again. Chia Ranch Dressing needs no buildup, as folks are crazy for ranch around here. These are designed to be good and help those with food allergies. It’s best when good and good-for-you align. I’ve yet to try avocado oil-based spread and dressing in chipotle lime, but I’m envisioning a sandwich that includes avocado and a thinly sliced purple onion. I guess I’m a Plant Junkie.

                      Edible Product
                      Cooped up much? Maybe the new Stuffed Puffs could start out as a math and creative writing project with the kids. What does chocolate plus chocolate equal? Begin with the adjectives and superlatives and stir up a “sweet” ode. Chocolate on Chocolate is the actual name of this marshmallow that has a chocolate center, so, cut to s’mores made very easily. Quarantine snacks? Yes! This new version incorporates chocolate right into the marshmallow and you still get that center that melts just so after you warm up these pillow-soft just the right amount of crispy on top. Their tag line is “Life’s More Fun Filled with Stuffed Puffs.”
             
              Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie who’s in this with you guys. Reach her at darraghcastillo@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment