Friday, October 9, 2026

New Bites for to fall for


Gumbo, chili and soup, we’re ready for you. We’re standing by with sweaters and leafy décor. Here are some new bites to “fall” for:  

Cans - American Tuna cans are so attractive that I made a tower of them and admired my still life. Eventually I popped tops on flavorful no salt, sea salt, jalapeno and garlic options

I was right about their upscale packaging. I’d moved my tower to a work desk and a passerby snapped a photo for the color schemes of orange, navy, green and cream.

American Pole & Line fishing families started this company in San Diego. Albacore comes from the Pacific Ocean. Then it gets hand filleted and packed at artisanal canners in Oregon and Washington. They cook it once, in the can. They can trace every can of one-by-one catch back to the vessel that brought it in. There’s no vegetable broth or fillers.

I was right again for not wanting to drain. The liquid keeps the flavor, nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids. This is high-quality and delicious fish. This firm meat is nothing like the stringy tuna we ate in the ‘70s. It’s gourmet. I made salads with black beans, basil leaves and tomatoes. Recipes on the www.americantuna.com site are fancy, like the very photogenic smoked tuna blt, which stands for bacon, lettuce and beet.

Cups– Agave makes tequila, but now I’m paring it with fine teas. Fiore cups feature watercolors of Fátima Seehagen, a Brazilian painter whose work “exuberantly abstracts nature, unleashing emotions through a vivid natural palette.”

Tea Forté has a collection of cups with infusers and lids that turn tea time into your ritual. "We all have a story to tell, just as all flowers have a unique, irreplaceable beauty and fragrance,” the artist says. My calm comes from gazing at the blue and green watercolor of a very Texas-centric plant. It’s the difference between sipping and gulping. For more: Introducing the Fiore Teaware Collection

Elevated Street Food Sauce: Bali BBQ – Ever watched a Southerner barbecue? I witnessed a lively conversation in the park as my husband’s relatives debated over pecan wood, types of meat and placement on the grill. Who won? I did, because I got to eat the results of the day.

You may think you can’t teach us new tricks about barbecue, but here’s a way to keep the flavor going when you’ve scrubbed up the grill for the season. I’ll let the creators share about this organic food company working with farming families building products around coconut blossom nectar and regenerative food forests:

“Big Tree Farms Bali BBQ brings a smoky, savory, slightly sweet flavor to chicken, roasted vegetables, and easy weeknight meals. Inspired by the street BBQ of Bali, the sauces are made with organic coconut aminos, coconut sugar, garlic, ginger, tamarind, lemongrass, and organic spices…and are soy-free, gluten-free and made without refined sugar,” the product material reads.

My take is that a few squeezes from the bottle is why they call this original naughty medium and not so naughty mild sauce collection “elevated street food sauce.” If all you have in the pantry is rice and peanuts, you can sauce up a full flavor entre. It’s gluten free and soy free and full of possibilities.

Beans on Beans – I’ve just used crunchy Festive Chickpeas to top a pinto bean salad and float atop a bowl of bean soup. I realize that is beans on beans, but I can’t get enough. If you like your grab and go nutrition in flavors like Nacho Cheese, Honey BBQ and White Cheddar, you can rock this snack.

Makers report: “Festive Chickpeas naturally help bridge both gaps, delivering 10 grams of plant-based protein and 8 grams of fiber per bag…all from real chickpeas, with no added protein powders, concentrates or isolates.”

Little bags go right into your purse or lunch box, naturally. Here’s a new twist: try them on charcuterie boards. That will get them talking. Available on Amazon, Walmart.com, SnackFestive.com.

Chocolate – If you won’t try quinoa in a salad, how about in a chocolate bar? Quinoa Crunch offers 60 percent cacao, but you can crank it to 85 with Raspberry Blackout. These chocolates are for you, not those little ones who come knocking on your door at Halloween. The flavors are intense and  special. Alter Eco is one of those do-good companies restoring ecosystems while you indulge in flavors like Silk Velvet Truffles with wrappers fit for composting in your back yard. Look for a partnership with Practical Magic 2 because Halloween movies and chocolate are a natural match.

Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie anticipating the season’s best flavors. Share with her via panews@panews.com


No comments:

Post a Comment