Monday, January 2, 2012

New habits and old classics

I started New Year’s Eve with a just right Weight Watchers weigh in, earning my coveted key chain charm. As 1212 approached, I was surrounded by empty chocolate wrappers, but I’m confident I will stay on a healthy track.

Hey, it was “free” food, because a friend of mine orders fancy chocolates each year, then passes the bulk to me so she won’t eat so many.

New Year’s evening found me overindulging in homemade egg rolls, as per a family tradition of making them while enjoying the “Twilight Zone Marathon.” I ate enough of them to feel horrid the next day, and that sent me to the internet to seek Jewish Chicken Soup recipes. Yogurt, ginger ale, soup and the last of the Christmas gumbo made my light menu Monday.

I ran across the BRAT diet, suggesting bananas, rice, applesauce and toast for troubled digestive systems, and focused on the R.

A simmering pot of classic chicken soup filled my house with a comforting aroma, much needed after one of my only out-of-bed ventures of the day, to help my husband move dusty, heavy boxes out of the attic on a deadline.

Here’s the rice I had with the gumbo and soup: Texmati Rice, long grain American basmati, in one of those plastic jars and labeled as coming out of Alvin, Texas. This particular box was dressed in pink, announcing support for Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

Greek yogurt eased my distress at home, then I joined my husband for more “free” food. He had a gift card for The Yogurt Spot in Beaumont, and we enjoyed some coffee-flavored cool stuff.

It was one of those rare days I wasn’t too interested in food, yet still managed to look up a recipe for vinegar-based barbecue sauce. And, it’s almost time for Mardi Gras food.

ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment