Monday, August 6, 2012

Popcorn du Monde


Sometimes my friend indulges to her limit, then packs up all her temptations for me to get out of her house. I’m all-too-happy to help her out. This week it was shrimp and popcorn. She nearly overdid it on popcorn Saturday night. I did the rest of it Sunday night.

She’s a straight-up kind of popcorn lover, but I love to experiment. So, I hauled out shakers of cayenne pepper and dark cocoa powder and sprinkled them on my popcorn. Loved it, but the third batch had to be different. I sprinkled on powdered sugar, which put me in mind of the white powder that covers everything on a Café du Monde run in New Orleans. Not a kernel was left.

Hazlenut in flavor forecast

Those flavor forecasters of McCormick have some new cards with those measured-out spices to complete a meal Try Country Herb Chicken and Dumplings or Mediterranian Herb Crusted Tilapia. My mom will try that on another fish, as she has a weird anti-tilapia philosophy. Other new stuff includes a little bottle of pure coffee extract and imitation hazel extract. Both are perfect for my morning banana smoothie.

Did you miss National Bourbon Day?

Make up for it with a milk shake. This one has some ingredients that will shake up your shake for sure:

Maker’s Mark Bourbon Butter Pecan Milkshake

By Chef Lee Anne Wong, Maker’s Mark® Cookbook Editor1-1/2 parts Maker’s Mark Bourbon

1-1/2 cups butter pecan ice cream, packed

1/2 cup whole milk

2 tablespoons toasted pecans

1/4 vanilla bean, scraped, seeds only, or ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 tablespoon Lyle’s Golden Syrup or maple syrup

Method

Place all ingredients in a blender. Puree on the highest speed until smooth and creamy. Pour into a large pint glass or two 8-ounce glasses. Serve immediately.

ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment