Sunday, March 17, 2013

Seasonal flavors come all at once


Yogurt and fish are what I craved after watching a program on life in Biblical times.
What I had was shrimp someone gave me that should be eaten soon. I made that with preserved lemons and served it over jasmine rice while burning candles in the shamrock-covered holders my mother-in-law got on her journey to Ireland. I put them out each St. Patrick’s Day. I’m already thinking ahead to the Italian food put out on St. Joseph altars and looking forward to the bread and olive oil meal I celebrate while watching “Jesus Christ Superstar” in the Easter season.
I’m thankful for all these meals and hope that everyone can enjoy such bounty.


Let’s cook
Texas Women, infants, and Children encourage eating the rainbow of healthy, colorful foods in a beautiful cookbook that should make anyone want to get in the kitchen. “Let’s Cook with Fruits & Vegetables shows ways everyone in the family will enjoy eating the right way. Melon boats with frozen yogurt are one attractive example.
Mango-tomato salsa and spicy pea dip with lime juice and garlic are two other appetizer selections. Here’s a quickie dip that sounds tempting:

Tofu Dip
1 14-ounce package silken tofu, rinsed and drained
1 packet ranch dressing seasoning mix
In a blender, combine tofu and seasoning mix. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend.

Too salty?
Okay, is it just me? Does anyone else seem to gain about 5 pounds after one restaurant meal? I rarely cook with salt or add any at the table, so I’m nearly always affected by a weekend treat. My husband and I each woke up in the middle of the night to down water after a fried seafood dinner.
I tasted gumbo out recently that stung my tongue with saltiness. I’d love to hear from readers if you have stories on this. Contact me at the address below and put SALTY in the subject line:
ddoiron@panews.com


No comments:

Post a Comment