Monday, November 4, 2013

My sister's chips


My sister has been on a chip quest while visiting relatives across the country. After searching in Alabama, Rhode Island and Massachusetts for Lay’s Wavy Roasted Garlic & Sea Salt chips, she finally found them in our neck of the woods in Texas. She and my husband loved her chip find, but, ironically, my mom and I liked the garlic kettle chips she was using to fill in better. Takes all kinds.
There are new wavy chocolate potato chips on the market. I wish someone would let me know if they are as good as they sound.
Crock season
Fall puts me in slow cooker mode. Crock-Pot® Seasoning Mixes has new flavors including a good-smelling Original Chili. While I ripped open the packet for a spicy whiff I decided on Savory Herb Chicken, which I cooked up with carrots and onion and served over brown rice. NEW Beef Stroganoff, Hearty Beef Stew, Savory Pot Roast and BBQ Pulled Pork are also in this line. Makers suggest them for crowd-pleasing tailgating fare. Keeping these on the pantry shelf are as easy as firing up the slow cooker. I always feel free to add my own spices to “make it my own.”
Turnip Souffle
A reader, Peg, is seeking the recipe for a turnip soufflĂ© from a Port Arthur club. Here’s what she recalls:
“My husband said it had carrot in it making it orange but was more of the turnip flavor with the consistency of mashed potatoes. “
Contact me at the e-mail below if you know about it.

Pumpkin Update
I’m very much in love with Siggi’s healthy yogurt after just one bite. I had it while actually writing this part of my column on a laptop from the Lover’s Lane Central Market in Dallas. A thick, creamy serving of coconut has 200 calories and is extremely satisfying. I made the yummy sound, for sure.
The company sent me a coupon to taste it and talk up how a serving of this yogurt has way fewer calories than pumpkin pie, but this store didn’t have the pumpkin and spice flavor. I figure shoppers bought it up like they are buying every other pumpkin blend this season. I   enjoyed every other thick and fruity blend I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment