Thursday, February 6, 2014

Are you a bowl licker?


Monica Holland shares the story of losses that inspired her to blog in her photo-filled book “Lick the Bowl Good: Classic Home-Style Desserts with a Twist.” Cooking for appreciative audiences can help all sorts of concerns. Her process gives us all recipes for Peach Melba Buttermilk Cake, Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes, Chocolate Gingerbread, Brown Butter & Spice Rice Crispy Treats and Nutella Panna Cotta. Plenty more temptations are in these pages. There’s a whole section on breakfast treats that will make you want to get out of bed. Holland believes that if you can read and follow directions, then you can create the beauties in this book. Here is one of the easiest ones:
Berries Romanoff
You need:
6 cups assorted fresh berries, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup sour cream
one half cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon brandy liquor
Preparation:
In a small mixing bowl, combine sour cream, brown sugar and brandy. Whisk together until a pourable consistency. Divide your berries evenly between 6 small bowls or cups. Evenly divide the sour cream sauce over the berries.

Can of mango pulp
I promised my sister I’d eat the mango pulp if she bought it for me. You really don’t have to nag me to try new things. It was just a big can and during the holidays with all those parties. She kept asking if I’d tried it. I finally told her I did and it was a hit. I opened up a can of Kesar Mango Pulp she bought from a specialty store in Beaumont with foods from India. For days I enjoyed the 30 ounces of sweet, thick, orange liquid in smoothies and over ice. She has hers over yogurt but mine didn’t last that long. It was sure easier than dealing with fresh mangos. I got the most flavorful part with no mess.

Small Alchemy is the new big flavor
They look like croutons but are tiny cubes of gourmet cookies you can’t forget. Petite cookies are Bites of Love in lemon black pepper shortbread, almond ginger, pecan shortbread with vanilla salt, etc. Could celebrity chef Carla Hall be my Valentine? She’s a host on “The Chew” and, from what I’ve tasted, a creative mastermind of cookies that could be served on a quarter. Miniscule squares are crispy and the Black Forest Crinkle is soooo soft and chewy. I have shared these with people of all ages and everyone has been intrigued. A variety pack features clear cylinders packed with cookies and tasters have been satisfied with the little bites because they are so flavorful. You want there to be more for later, so you’re not rushing to devour the whole package. There are so many more temptation at alchemybycarlahall.com that you can “keep the love coming.” Doesn’t goat cheese cranberry sound intriguing?
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment