Saturday, February 15, 2014

Breaux Bridge is 'Full Cajun' territory


Y’all loved hearing about Callie Summerlin’s family’s roux-based chicken and dumplings over rice. Tony Giarratano was inspired to share a good anecdote about his Cajun and Italian roots. Here It is:
“My grandmother, Joyce Poche` Bernard is from around the area of Breaux Bridge (more specifically, Poche` Bridge).  Upon reading your article about the chicken and dumplings Callie made, I was intrigued at the mention of the area.  She recently passed on her 93rd birthday, Nov. 28th, and my brothers and myself all made the trek down from the Dallas area to make her funeral in Orange.  She'd had a book published in her years titled "A Journal of Remembrances" Anyway, I thought I'd say hi.

My mother would make her own version of chicken and dumplings when my brothers and I still lived in Orange (though the dumplings were actually biscuits).  The chicken and biscuits were served over white rice and a creamy sauce.  For someone who is full Cajun, my mom has always taken to her Italian roots (of which she inherited from my father upon their marriage). 

I enjoyed reading your article
Regards,”

Tony Giarratano

 Southern Stuff  
Amid glorious photography of bayous with Spanish moss and zydeco players, Kelly Alexander describes the heart of Louisiana, where people drink coffee with chicory and eat Tabasco sauce on most everything. It’s home to hurricane cocktails and hurricanes, she writes in Southern Living’s “No Taste Like Home: A Celebration of Regional Southern Cooking and Hometown Flavor.”
Salt-Crusted Red Drum and Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes help tell the spicy story of Texas. Atlanta, Charleston, Birmingham and other Southern charms are also highlighted in a book that makes you want to pack your bags. When I get to where I want to be, I want some of this:
Mississippi Mudslide
1 pint chocolate ice cream
1 pint coffee ice cream
1 cup milk
Half cup bourbon
Toppings; Whipped cream, chocolate syrup, marshmallows
Process first four ingredients in blender until smooth. Serve with desired toppings.

Alabama White Barbecue Sauce
1 and one half cups mayonnaise
1 fourth cup white vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons horseradish
Stir together all ingredients until well blended. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.


RAW
Brad’s Raw Crunchy Kale is labeled as Naked, with plain vegan cheese. I loved every mouthful. There’s always a fair amount of content in kale snacks so small as to be considered “dust,” but this is a super-flavorful dust. I thought it would be a good coating or topping for any number of other foods. Then I thought I’d just eat it with a spoon. The spoon won and I enjoyed every bite.
Here’s the deal on Brad Gruno, founder of Brad’s Raw Foods and author of Brad’s Raw Made Easy. This book tells how he had it all and lost it in the economy, then came back better than ever after regaining his health and energy with raw foods. He’s a likable inspiration who can also tell you why recipes for fresh sprouted breakfast cereal and zucchini chickpea curry can help you enjoy life. 

Nutrition you can see
Post has added Vanilla Graham and Berry Medley as  new Great Grains Digestive Blend flavors. My daughter compares the barley to popcorn and it combines with flakes and clusters. Makers say these cereals are filled with “nutrition you can see in every spoonful.” You can taste and hear it, too. I’ve enjoyed the crunch of Vanilla Graham as a topper to oatmeal. I like it, and I love that it supports healthy digestion.
Here’s another thing the makers are proud of. Press for the cereal reads: “ A study recently published in the British Journal of Nutrition found women who consumed probiotics lost twice as much weight over a 24-week period versus the placebo group. New Great Grains Digestive Blend cereals feature active cultures that deliver 'good' bacteria which optimize digestive health to help you feel more balanced from the inside out.”
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment