So apparently Laura Sorkin is a mixer as well as a sugaring expert. She is co-founder of Runamok Maple and responsible for an idea sure to sweep across patios as the weather warms. This line of organic pure, infused, barrel-aged and smoked maple syrups is fancy from conception to packaging in beautiful bottles. Today I’m not even going into recipe cards featuring curried maple cashews with sausage crumbles or maple syrup and cheese paring ideas (try it on sturdy crackers). But I’m closer to the Tears of Joy idea for butter pecan ice cream with Rye Barrel-Aged Maple Syrup over sliced bananas.
It would be worth a Texas road trip to Fredericksburg for a peach to play with Sorkin’s Peach Sangria idea. It’s sure to pair well with the Cambridge, Vermont syrups. I tried the cardamom syrup over fruit and cheese and French toast crisped in coconut oil. Even though the sample was provided to me for the following, I’ve yet to find the perfect peach it deserves. The sample will be closely guarded in my pantry while I seek, but y’all go ahead and try the following:
1 cup red wine
1 peach or nectarine, sliced, pit removed
Juice of half an orange
1 tablespoon of Cardamom or Cinnamon + Vanilla Infused Maple Syrup (or to taste)
Add all ingredients together and stir. Let the mixture sit in the fridge for an hour to blend the flavors. Serve in a large glass over ice with orange rind garnish.
Clean it up
Austin residents are proud of their “greenness” and I’m sure they’re loving that Austin-based Lemi Shine is boasting “Clean Freak Approved” powerful formulas and safer products. They’re making cleaning a kitchen as fun as creating a gourmet mess. New to me, they’ve been at it since 1994. I’m loving the concept, the way my countertops look clean and the pleasant aromas. Look for dish soap and dishwasher pods as well.
According to the Austin-based company, which makes products powered by 100 percent natural citric extracts and no harsh chemicals, these are the top five cleaning fails:
- Appliances: The insides of the dishwasher and the washing machine see a lot of dirt and germs – but people rarely clean the appliances themselves. Lemi Shine’s Appliance Cleaners for laundry and kitchen handle the problem with powerful citrus extracts.
- Knobs, handles and faucets: Clean them once, but they’ll be dirty again as soon as they’re used again – probably about two minutes later. Lemi Shine’s new Everyday Cleaner with GunkGuard™ features a natural polymer that creates an invisible protective layer that actually prevents buildup for a long-lasting clean, plus citrus extracts that add polish and shine.
- Toothbrush holders: These can collect high levels of bacteria over time. Hot water and a few drops of Lemi Shine Concentrated Dish Soap are strong enough to tackle the area with no harsh chemical residue that can be transferred to brushes.
- Laundry hamper liner: All the funk that’s on laundry – especially that workout wear with wicking technology that makes clothing retain sweat – is on the oft-overlooked hamper too. Lemi Shine’s new Laundry Booster with FunkGuard™ not only removes the odor, but also prevents it between washings.
- Sponges: When used in tandem with the heat dry cycle, the top rack of the dishwasher is ideal for sanitizing dirty sponges. Lemi Shine’s safe, powerful dual-chamber Dishwashing Detergent pods have no toxic chemicals that could soak in and spread throughout your house every time you clean.
Lemi Shine’s line of nontoxic household cleaning products, including kitchen and bathroom cleaners, appliance cleaners, detergent boosters and more, can be purchased at grocery stores and mass retailers nationwide or online at Walmart, Target, Lowes and Home Depot.
SinkShroom is new, since TubShroom. This is a smaller version bathroom sink version of the flexible drain insert that collects hair and jewelry from clogging your sink. Just take it out and use a paper towel to collect all the hair that’s wrapped around the sink. Just imagine how this tool eases the burden and adds to the efficiency of no one’s favorite task.
Servers have come to instinctively help diners photograph their meals before digging in. It’s a thing. You want to look stylish while making style at Toast Tech Covers is offering wood veneers from the Pacific Northwest that “cover” you. It’s a peel-and-stick package that puts me in the mind of the “wood” strip on ‘70s station wagons. That’s a compliment, young techies. I stuck a wooden peacock feather onto my phone and I’ve had several inquiries. Toast is available in all manner of personal styles.
Toast Tech Covers is offering wood veneers from the Pacific Northwest that “cover” you. It’s a peel-and-stick package that puts me in the mind of the “wood” strip on ‘70s station wagons. That’s a compliment, young techies. I stuck a wooden peacock feather onto my phone and I’ve had several inquiries. Toast is available in all manner of personal styles.