Monday, April 23, 2018

Pack your peppers


                             A friend texted she had a craving for piquin/chiltepe peppers, so at lunch I dashed to a Mexican market and got a jar of my own.
                             These are the tiny guys. My 32-ounce Goya label indicated there were 375 servings inside. Pickled pepper friends, these babies are brined and spicy. It’s funny that little birds eat them from potted plants.
                             My first thought was to mash some up into mayonnaise and spread that on brisket sandwich. It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m in no danger of running out of peppers.
                             A little thing I do when a big batch of something comes into the house is package it as attractively as possible in my pantry. I’ll be looking at it a long time, after all. These round, green peppers went into a beautiful Mason jar.
                             I’ll use them to adorn tomato and cucumber salads this season.
                             I’ve enjoyed a LaGrange barbecue experience where the restaurant put vinegar into bottles that once held whiskey. Some of these tiny, colorful peppers were floating around in the bottle and people would douse their meal with this flavor. I’ll be that was a story that northern visitors took home.
                             Spice is part of our daily lives. When heat levels come up in conversation, I sometimes note that jalapenos are often part of my breakfast. Turns out lots of Southeast Texans have the same tradition. Give us spicy migas and salsa and keep it coming.
                             The piquin/chiltepe peppers have long stems. I experimented with tossing some into the blender to see if they would dissolve into a salsa. I didn’t have enough other ingredients to work with, so what I made was a mess.
                             Fortunately, I have plenty of pickled peppers packed for Peter Piper and pals who pop in.
                             Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie who likes it hot. If want to talk spicy to her, contact Doiron at:
                  darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment