Saturday, June 30, 2018

Skipjack and cannellini is tuna and beans disguised


                             We can’t always get everything we want to eat. Fortunately a healthy lunch for me doesn’t mean a sacrifice in enjoyment. Sometimes negative associations with food are a mental hurdle we must jump.
                             For instance, I don’t know what happened to my husband in his youth regarding cottage cheese. He’s just not having it now.
                             So my non-fear of foodstuffs on the healthy side has exposed me to different combinations and even different names of food. I love a good tuna over white bean salad with a pesto drizzle. That’s full of low-guilt pleasure.
                             But in order to motivate my husband into some housework, I promised him skipjack and cannelloni for dinner. That’s tuna and beans, but he didn’t realize it.
                             My downfall was repeating the phrase too often and with too much gusto, so that he became suspicious. The salad arrived to the table on a bed of lettuce, with pretzel “croutons.” I enjoyed it more than he did, but we all came out ahead in the end. 

                             Houston Blend
                             If you asked for coffee with a Houston flair, would you automatically assume coconut flakes would be the ticket? How about that paired with pecan praline flavor?
                             Even though a newspaper editor of the old school told me that “real” coffee drinkers do not go in for these frilly flavors, I do.
                             H-E-B’s Café Ole coffee, such as Texas Pecan, gives my whole house a lovely aroma. I’ve been known to open a package and set it next to me while I watch a movie,  just to inhale the sweet scent.
                             I’m a fan of Texas Pecan and I had to pick up Houston Blend, with the praline/coconut accents. The rocket ship headed toward the moon on the label cinched the dea. NASA is trending, I think.
                             Try the Taste of Texas flavors and let me know what you think, “real” coffee drinkers.
                             Now excuse me. I’m going to have some Houston Blend and read “Texas Monthly.”


                             Barley tip
                             My mother loves barley more than most people around here. Her mother used it in Saturday soups for lunch. Yet, I never recall her preparing it when I was growing up.
                             I brought Mom a package of Knorr One Skillet Meals in the Lemon Chicken with Barley Meal Starter variety. It contains barley and seasonings and you add chicken, spinach and carrots. She enjoyed it twice before sharing some with me and said she was impressed with this new offering.
                             My husband would not be excited if I notified him in advance that he’d be having barley for dinner, yet he tried to hide the dish of leftovers I made for my lunch and move it to his area. We all liked this creation.


                  Darragh Castillo is an appreciative, if not “real” coffee drinker and Southeast Texas foodie. Reach her at darraghdoiron@icloud.com





No comments:

Post a Comment