Monday, September 3, 2018


Have you “poked” yet?
Everybody’s talking about the new Hawaiian Poke Bowl in Port Arthur and I’m just going to say, it’s ironic you can get an uber healthy and fresh salad and then hit the rolled ice cream, if you want.
                My husband and Mom went through the line and I told them I’d be happy with whatever they brought to the table. This is that “new concept” sort of place where you go through the line. Some diners may face more decisions than they are prepared to make. Don’t let this deter you. Pick a variety of vegetables, fruits and proteins and get a salad over rice that will blow you away. It’s a mix and match festival. Mine was loaded with salmon and  a sweet/tart sauce and colorful crunchy vegetables.
                I got to eat this with chopsticks and that made something already good even better.
                I heard all sorts of clicking and clacking while my family ate and we saw all sorts of families, couples, etc. headed toward that sound. That’s where the ice cream was being flattened onto a frozen disc and reshaped into rolls. We had to share one of those and that proved an interesting texture. Someone I know praised that this method keeps the ice cream cold. She hates a melty mess.
                Everyone is asking how to pronounce this “poke.” We got two variations from staff and I’d just read another, regarding this trend. I’m going with “POH-keh.”  Once I heard Port Arthur was getting one, I’ve been running across variations of the dish everywhere. Try it and let me know what you think.

Strangely addictive seaweed
                Who’d of think I’d be going about my day and craving seaweed? Not me. Do you think I was going to let the cute sharks on Seasnax packages seduce we with their “Strangely Addictive” tagline? You’re kidding. I’ve had the seaweed before. It was pretty good.
                Okay. I tried the Seasnax and chipotle. Then the barbecue. Then the different Chomperz shapes and the bigger sheets. Then the smaller sheets in lime that are crunchy and sound like thin sheets of glass when you finally crunch down.
                It’s true you cute little surfboarding shark. You got me. Seasnax have me, and someone I know, addicted. At 15 calories a serving, we’re not feeling too guilty.
                Most people who grab change for vending machines may not think they’d be into organic roasted seaweed with olive oil. I’m sure the seaweed never imagined being paired with chipotle seasoning, but these little packages deliver what people want at snack time: flavor and satisfaction.
                Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie who loves to try what’s new out there and share it with readers. Let her know what you’ve been trying at darraghcastillo@icloud.com


No comments:

Post a Comment