Sunday, September 2, 2018

When breakfast is for dinner and the crunchy stuff...


                           
  Breakfast for dinner
                             Just about the biggest berries I’ve ever seen topped a breakfast-for-dinner creation my mom served the family.
                             I think my choice to pile everything high on a small plate added to the presentation.
                             She had me at eggs, then I saw the sausage and the berries knocked me out. This was meant for a waffle base and a yogurt topper. It didn’t need it, but I brought out syrup.
                             The colors and flavors made a weeknight meal feel like a luxurious brunch. See what you can come up with one night.

                             Gelatin with a crunch
                             Dessert happened when I thought all my wine glasses could use a run through the dishwasher. But I demand a full load, so I wanted to use each glass before it got a nice polish.
                             I think those glasses get more use as stemmed dessert vessels than they do as wine holders. I don’t know how my mom uses half packets of gelatin, but she does. She gave me permission to clear out her leftovers and I turned them into a layered dessert.
                             Yogurt mixed into the strawberry flavor was the base. When that was set I added more for a “clear” division then some fruit and orange zest followed.
                             I rarely keep whipped cream or non-dairy topping, but I did have some vanilla coffee creamers. I popped open two of them to pour over three servings and then floated cocoa nibs for crunch.
                             When my mother walked in and found a glass at her setting, she said “Oh, we’re having wine.”
                             I said I hated to disappoint her, but that was gelatin in the glass. Turns out, she wasn’t disappointed at all.
                            From the files:
                            For a long time I’ve kept a recipe I’ve never made, and most likely never will. It came from a book I reviewed years ago and it’s called Arkansas Margarita.
                             The novelty is that you melt hog lard and dip a paper cup in the liquid so as to rim your glass with crushed pork rinds.
                             The actual drink is buttermilk and “white lighting.”
                             I can’t think of anything else to say about that…
                  Darragh Doiron will try breakfast for dinner and dinner at any time. Share your foodie finds with her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment