Saturday, June 30, 2012

Burger bar for summer entertaining

Burger bar: easiest plan ever

Schwan’s Spoil

I’m not so used to being spoiled and the person who drives the Schwan’s delivery truck may be the one to entice me. Sure I’ve seen those trucks around, but had never tried it out myself. Those boxes have some good stuff inside and stack up so temptingly in the fridge. In minutes I had burgers going and a tortellini salad in a bowl. Another meal showcased beef sirloin steak tips for kabobs, corn on the cob and asparagus. Try those firm, green babies on a raft you fashion with skewers. The modern family can go online to arrange this world of food to come home to you. It’s a perfect solution for some busy households. I’m willing to work to create a good meal, but Schwan’s has shown me how easy it is to have the good stuff even in a hectic week. Here’s some ideas from their extensive list of burger toppers:

Southwest with Grilled Corn Relish-Spoon a spicy crunchy corn relish made with corn, chopped romaine, tomatoes, red & green pepper, jalapeño, vinegar, a chopped cilantro and a hint of sugar over your burger. Add provolone cheese and a chipotle style mayo dressing.

Farmhouse Bistro-Top your burger with lettuce, tomato, American cheese, onion and a fried egg,

Bacon Guacamole-Top your burger with a slice of American cheese, a slice of fully cooked crisp bacon and a generous scoop of cool guacamole.

Pizza -Top your burger with favorite pizza ingredients such as pepperoni, mozzarella, marinara sauce, black olives and a sprinkle of Parmesan.

Rio Bravo -Top your burger with bacon, cheese, and BBQ sauce.

Hawaiian Holiday -Top your burger with grilled ham, Swiss cheese and pineapple and drizzle with sweet & sour sauce.

Mean Green Supreme-Top your burger with crisp bacon, grilled green pepper rings and a generous scoop of cool guacamole.

Sweet Caramelized Balsamic Onions -Top your burger with thin cut, sautéed onion slices and balsamic vinegar.

Black & Blue-Top your burger with blue cheese crumbles black pepper, fried onions, bacon and blue cheese mayo dressing.

Ultimate Cowboy-Top your burger with sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, tomatoes, bacon and a hot horseradish mayo dressing. For added flavor add a dollop of chili ketchup.

Cheesy Texas Toast-Top your burger with Gruyere cheese, crisp lettuce and serve on slices of Garlic Texas Toast.

Texas Roadhouse-Top your burger with peppers and onions, bacon, cheddar cheese, pickles, and BBQ or steak sauce.

Philly Style-Top your burger with roast beef slices, Swiss cheese and sautéed peppers and onions.

Oscar Surf & Turf-Top your burger with asparagus spears, crab meat and Béarnaise sauce.

French Bistro-Top your burger with caramelized onion, gorgonzola cheese, gruyere cheese, and garlic mustard. mayo

Quesadilla-Top your burger with Pepper Jack cheese, pico de gallo, southwest ranch and serve in a quesadilla.

English Cheddar- Top your burger with 2 slices cheddar cheese, English muffin and a mayo mustard sauce.

Bagel-Spread vegetable or herb cream cheese on a bagel and layer with burger, tomato and red onion

Panini -Top your burger with pesto, provolone cheese, prosciutto and roasted red pepper.

Spinach & Artichoke -Top your burger with prepared spinach and artichoke dip.

How good can granola get?

I know I have at least one fan who goes gluten free. I hope shell try Giddy Up & Go Granola from Thoughtful Food, Inc. This stuff is absolutely indulgent. I vow to eat it only on top of yogurt, because it could blow my mind to eat a bowl full as cereal. I want to savor it. Jennifer Beielawski experimented after her family was forced to change diets to eliminate grain, starch, sugar and most lactose. She’s found a winner. I just like this crunchy stuff full of natural foods. I can imagine how grateful I would be if I found it because I couldn’t eat the “regular” stuff that doesn’t hold a candle to Giddy Up & Go. The package will tell you how good for you it is. I’m telling you stuff like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, agave nectar, cinnamon and vanilla make it crazy good.

Goin’ Greek

I’ve had some variation of Greek yogurt about every week for the past year or so. Here’s something new: Rickland Orchards All Natural Greek Yogurt Bar. I’m fighting my daughter for our morning doses of blueberry-acai, apple & honey, cherry-almond, cranberry almond, orchard peach and toasted coconut. Good granola is “iced” with sweet, creamy yogurt and you can tuck it into your purse for an on-the-go treat. It’s a dessert thing, too. I love how the lettering looks Greek. Everybody in my family thought these tasted better than we even expected.

Also delicious:

Navitas Naturals now has Blueberry Hemp in an award-winning line of organic Navitas Power Snacks. I may have mentioned these before, but I want to tell you I packed some on a trip and just one nugget during uncertain travel scheduling kept me full and energized until I had a proper meal. They’re dense and tasty, like a healthy brownie. They have no refined sugar, preservatives and artificial colors and flavors. In addition to being certified organic they are also certified gluten-free, and are GMO-free and dairy-free.

ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment