Monday, September 3, 2012

How do you like your eggs?

Cuban or Southwest? I just wrote about new stuff from McCormick and they already have already blessed me with more samples of new gourmet blends. Black-lidded jars of Cuban Seasoning with oregano, garlic and lemon and Southwest Seasoning with chipotle and other flavors are going in rice dishes as soon as possible. I’ve already spent a week playing with each region’s flavors on egg breakfasts. Look for packets of dried herbs for Bourbon Spiced Pork, to be cooked with your meat and brown sugar, orange juice, sweet potatoes and apples. Directions are easy to follow and the label includes more ideas. Another new packet is for a dish they’re calling Herbes de Provence Roasted Chicken and Potatoes. That’s what I’m playing with. I’ll be looking for other $1.99 packets in stores: Creamy Parmesan & Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Penne; Sweet Basil & Oregano Bruschetta Chicken; Garlic & White Wine Chicken Scaloppine; and Smoked Sausage & Pepper Creole Jambalaya.

Just add vodka

Remember Fizzies? My mom used to pack those tablets to flavor water in her purse and dole one out to me at Luby’s. Drop one in and my it fizzed into a glass of root beer. Good times. Enter Go Cocktails! , a grown-up version that can turn any day in to cocktail hour with the girls. Make no mistake, drawings of stylish women in their look-at-me modes enjoying Cosmo, Lemon Drop, Appeltini, etc. Little packets of sugar-free cocktail mixes slip into your purse. Most carry the “Just add to water and vodka” label, except for Margarita, where you go with tequila, instead. So far I’ve tried these with diet Sprite and am already impressed. I’m working my way up to join the lovely lady on the Margarita package. I love the packaging and concept for what makers call a “waistline-friendly libation.”

http://www.gococktails.com for recipe ideas.

Red Moscato

Moscato is a “thing” now. I hear it’s been making it into popular music. Refresh from Turning Leaf, wants to make it onto your picnic table. It’s new, it’s fizzy and light and makers say it complements rich barbecue and picnic fare. This blend of Muscat grapes the very stuff my husband is always looking for. He’s been known to fizz up his wine with diet Sprite. But he wasn’t around when I tried some. Oh well, I’ll fill him and readers in at the same time. Red Moscato is a by-the-pool refresher in my opinion. I’d like it with white cheese and fruit. Turning Leaf suggests it for burgers, ribs and other grilled meats. They’re also have straight up Moscato for spicy or creamy foods or desserts and Crisp White for fried or roasted chicken, salads and savory foods. It’s $8 and available everywhere.

Ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment