Monday, September 10, 2012

Sabine Pass poor boy hits the spot

I brought a loaf of bread to Sea Rim State Park to feed the seagulls, then I craved my own lunch. Lighthouse Deli & Market in Sabine Pass drew me in and I immediately noted the oyster poor boy on the menu. Just-fried oysters and a good sauce made me glad to know one of my favorite meals near a sandy shore was within reach for my next visit that way.

This eatery is on piers and as I approached, I saw fellow with quite the bushy beard. As he sipped a giant soda, the rest of his costuming came into view and I determined he was part of the Dick Dowling Day reenactment team. Another man’s attire inside couldn’t be ignored. Instead of a shirt and safety vest, this worker had an all-in-one bright yellow T-shirt with glowing patches and the message “I’ve got your back. Do you have mine?”

Men at anther table also had unmistakable gear. Their camouflaged selves seemed ready for a day of sport. All these other men were indulging in Lighthouse hamburgers, so I’ll have to give that a try, too.

Did you feel that cool air?

It could be approaching oatmeal time, so get your add-ins ready:

Apples, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice or canned pumpkin, cocoa powder, banana. . .

Readers, tell us your favorites.

Joy Tonic

Years ago I told readers about a pocket mister filled with a little something called Urban Moonshine organic bitters and tonics. Every once in a while I’d pull one from my desk and Mary Meaux and I would get a spritz to lift our spirits. Joy Tonic is a new release Jovial King says calms the mind and uplifts the spirit naturally. Who wouldn’t want a little bit of that while facing a pile of paperwork?

Just reading up on how our ancestors used plants to heal, motivate and even mix cocktails relaxed me. King, who blends these herbs in Vermont, says our bodies crave bitters and over the years our taste for processed food has edged them out of our lives. This is the case, even though coffee, dark chocolate and greens are considered part of the bitters family. Joy Tonic has an old-school taste that quickly becomes more palatable with each spray and with each nugget of copy in the press material. You feel more nourished after reading up on it.

Joy Tonic’s motherwort, organic grape alcohol, rose, linden and lemongrass are designed to ease tension and calm stress and help adjust the level of tension in the nervous system, internal organs and blood vessels. Makers say its volatile components can reawaken people when they feel sad, uninspired or withdrawn and relax them when they feel stressed, anxious, frazzled, and overwhelmed.

“We know stress is inevitable, and rather than trying to stimulate our way through it, or sedate our way out of it, we do best when we relax, focus, and engage the stressor,” Guido Mase, head herbalist at Urban Moonshine, says in press info. They want you to try it as support “during the darker days of winter when people are dealing with the lack of light and craziness of the holidays.” They suggest it for restful sleep, dream recall and for help in “bringing emotional balance to woman suffering from PMS.”

King has a blog about herbs.

ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment