Sunday, April 23, 2017

Spices, smoothies and the right tools


                     

              Pho Vien Dong
                      There was just one other table at this “Far East Restaurant Vietnamese Cuisine” stop at 2523 Jefferson Drive, but as soon as I got seated the to-go crowd grew.
                      I enjoyed my vermicelli with grilled pork, shrimp and egg roll in a leisurely way. I loved hearing a woman order “those kind of chicken wings that you have that are so good.” There were a few chicken choices, but the order taker knew exactly what the woman was requesting.

                      The Activator
                      Nederland’s Smoothie King was hopping the other morning and I wonder if everybody had worked out, grabbed The Activator and headed off to a productive day at the office.
         I make banana smoothies all the time at home but they don’t have ingredients that Smoothie King reports are “specifically blended with optimal protein and key electrolytes.” This “re-launch” is geared to those looking to activate their tone. It’s blended as a post-workout smoothie to help repair and promote lean muscle, help guests stay hydrated, and keep them feeling fuller longer. They are blended with at least 23g of new, high-performance Gladiator® Complete Protein and will come in four different flavors: 

Strawberry Banana
Coconut Water, Strawberries, Bananas, Vanilla Gladiator® Protein

Blueberry Strawberry
Coconut Water, Strawberries, Blueberry Juice Blend, Strawberry Gladiator® Protein

Pineapple
Coconut Water, Bananas, Apple Juice, Pineapple, Vanilla Gladiator® Protein

Chocolate
Coconut Water, Bananas, Chocolate Gladiator® Protein, Protein Blend, 100 percent Cocoa
         My chocolate version was $7.69. I suppose that if a cool, creamy treat is what activates you, the promise of a post-workout treat will get you where you need to be.
         www.SmoothieKing.com






            All the right tools
                      I don’t gravitate to the self-checkout, but with only three items, I headed to the touch screen late on a Friday night. My first item drew the summons for assistance. A can of spray paint got me “carded.” Actually, I confirmed verbally that I was over 18 and there were no further probes. I asked the woman to stick around because the machine my question my other purchases: a super-strong glue and a box cutter.
                      I felt like I was gathering equipment for a West Side Story rumble. Some tough chick. The spray paint was not for grafitti, but to freshen up garden planters. The glue was to mend my herb pot and the blade was to better get into kitchen pantry stock.
          darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment