Sunday, October 21, 2018

Spices (other than pumpkin flavor fall


If you woke up in a hotel in India, I’m not sure what a breakfast could look like. But I went to my sister’s house in Alabama the night before her son’s wedding and I’ll call that my bed and breakfast.
                             Debbie’s husband is from India and we were on our way to an Indian ceremony so what could be more appropriate than some spice to get us started? We were happy to indulge in her platter of raw vegetables and flavors she set out for our arrival, close to midnight the pervious evening. So I wasn’t that hungry the next morning, but the aroma of upma got me going.
                             I liken this “porridge” to the consistency of  the Malt –O-Meal I had as a kid with butter and sugar. This upma was a bit thicker, with onions, peppers and spices mixed in. It was savory and warm and filling. She made hers from a packet and served it with a southern biscuit on the side,  jelly and fresh apples.
                             Again, not sure how they’d serve the same dish in India, but I’m all about the fusion flavors.

                  Spice of  life

                             You can go around the globe from your spice cabinet, thanks to McCormick Gourmet Global Seasonings. Some pre-mixed concoctions in their famous jars include flavors I already crave, such as shawarma Middle Eastern blend of cinnamon, coriander and cardamom, and some new-to-me traditions such as berbere, a blend of cayenne, paprika, cardamom, ginger and cinnamon to make Ethiopia’s most popular seasoning.
                             With my samples of harissa, a Tunisian chili paste, and za’atar, I’ve seasoned eggplant, eggs and meats in a fashion that makes one want to set a whole table for entertaining. The aromas are intoxicating.
                             Peruvian, a blend of chilli pepper, paprika, cumin and black pepper, is another offering you’ll want to experience. 


                             Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie who likes it spicy. Contact her at darraghcastillo@icloud.com

No comments:

Post a Comment